Friday, March 16, 2012

Burning the Mommy Uniform

That is it. I am having a fashion intervention for myself. Moms, how comfortable and safe does it feel in your sweats with your hair pulled back, lookin like maybe you have some relaxing to do? Maybe your kid is kicking your ass and it feels nice to be comfortable while it happens? Makes sense if I am working out in the afternoon to just wear workout clothes all day long. How practical of me?! Right? Very wrong. I have always felt very out of place when it came to fashion. I have always told myself, it really doesn't interest me and I don't even really know what my personal style is. I have never felt like I had any so I would avoid it at all costs. Shopping makes me beyond uncomfortable and almost depressed. I don't know how to shop or how to even put articles of clothing into a style so I just don't do it.


I started to realize this really needed to change. What did I just learn from Tony Robbins on Oprah? That we all have a story we tell ourselves about our lives. We need to make sure we like the story we are telling. This can apply to fashion! I WANT to rewrite my story and help myself find some sense of style. I realize it's not that I don't have an interest in fashion, I just avoid it. Deep down I do care but it scares the crap out of me. I need to believe it's possible and know I can do it. You may be reading this and thinking....she is thinking WAY too much about this. It's just clothes!!! Fashion is bigger than that to me. It is my fear. My phobia. One of my major insecurities. I think it's time I kick this insecurity in it's ass. If I am coaching people to get past their fitness fears, I need to look my fashion fear in the face.


Something clicked when I was speaking with my boss at work last night. I was telling her I needed to either get a superfly makeover or someone needed to send in an application in my honor for that show, WHAT NOT TO WEAR. I confessed some of my awful fashion NO NO's and she said something that really struck me. "You have to realize that you are worth the effort." OH NO SHE DI-IN'T. She was totally right. I am always on a mission to find love for myself and this is a category where I need to get uncomfortable. (Zone 3 in flycycle land) I am constantly telling my students to get out of their comfort zone, go beyond where you think your body can go, surprise yourself. I realize I need to practice what I preach, not just in fitness-where I feel safe pushing my limits. I need to do this with my everyday fashion too.


Again, you may be thinking-this girl lives in her head way too much. Actually, I do, but that is beside the point. I did something radical today and it felt amazing. I showered and I put on makeup AND JEANS all before 9am. My usual routine is to throw on my "mom uniform" which is workout stretchy pants and a hoodie. I do my fave hairstyle which my husband tells me looks like Tom Cruise in the movie Magnolia. Then I rock the day. BLAM BLIGGITY. After taking the time to actually care about my appearance and value being a beautiful woman, I felt better today. Things seemed to feel really good and I was way more proud being me. I am not saying all mom's have to look smokin hot everyday and get all done up, although I am sure dad's would love that. I am just recognizing a pattern in my life that needs to change because it would make me feel better. I felt so good I took pics with Dutch to share with my fit mama's. I know how mom's can put themselves LAST, VERY LAST, in most categories and my whole mantra is to value yourself because it sets a great example for your kids. So this is my declaration to give myself a new story. I am now a fashion Goddess and I plan to find my own personal sense of style.




First challenge as a fashionista. Sorority girl shot with the hands on the hips, looking over the shoulder. I think this pose came out way after 2000 when I graduated from my sorority days. When would I ever get the chance to embrace the pose, especially with no fashion sense??? I decided to do it at home, with Dutch and Vader standing by. ME: "oh hey---I am just casually turning around and looking awesome. I didn't realize you were there."




Who's your sexy mommy? Oh.........that's me.




NO MORE, Tom. NO MORE. Well, atleast not before 8pm.








So where are the patterns in your life you WANT to change? What stories do you tell yourself that need a revamp? If Casey Phillips can find fashion, YOU can do anything you set your mind to. I can promise you that.



8 comments:

  1. Hey Casey-

    I loved your blog post. I'm obsessed with fashion and would love to professionally be a stylist someday. I totally agree with what your boss said-you are worth it. Because it increases your self esteem and you feel better when you put some effort into it.

    I was on InStyle.com today and they were talking about Jessica Alba who is a mother of 2 and her very laid back style and how she layers! She has a few staples that she layers around. Own it fashionista, you look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Lauren!!!! HELP ME! haha, but really, help me. I am totally going to start studying fashion. Insytle.come here I come. Layers........I can do this. I AM A FASHION GODDESS!!! I think I can. I think I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Casey! You're AWESOME and soooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look AMAZING! (I mean, I think you look amazing and cute even in your "mom gear", but you look beautiful in these photos). I've been doing the whole "Flylady" things (www.flylady.net) to try to organize and declutter my house, my body and my brain. One of the things that she says is: Wake up 15-20 minutes early(ier) than the rest of the household and get yourself dressed "to the shoes". That's right: Get your hair did, do your makeup and even put on some sort of footwear. She says it will get you motivated to do WHATEVER it is you want for the day. I highly encourage you to check out her site! It's all about babysteps, but I've found my life is running sooooo much smoother since January!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey.... you are so beautiful no matter what you wear..... but you go girl!!!!! Rock whatever look makes you feel good. FYI ~ I love to shop and will go with you (and Dutch) anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great in whatever you're wearing, but you need to FEEL great. There was a point when my daughter got a little older where I really started to pay attention to how I looked again - for a while, it's just so hard when they're little. It makes me feel like a "real person" and not just a "mom" when I dress well, do my hair, put on a little makeup. But I do show up places in workout-wear, because I still have a "1 shower per day" policy . . . so if the workout's not 'til later, you'll see me in my sweats. I just make up for it more at other times, now!

    I don't know where you are or where you like to shop, but many major department stores (Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, etc.) have personal shoppers/stylists who'll help you pick out clothes - for free. You, of course, will tend to fall in love w/stuff and want to buy it, but it is a GREAT way to get ideas and figure out what looks good on you, what's comfortable and what you like. I do this often and come away with things I NEVER would've picked out for myself, but which look awesome and make me feel spectacular. And who doesn't want a little spectacular once in while??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, love the suggestions and someday I will def take advantage of the personal shopper option. Right now my shopping excursions will most likely be at Ross Dress for Less and that takes an even deeper level of skill that I need to cultivate. I had a nervous breakdown trying to get dressed for the day yesterday because I just don't feel like I have the tools (clothes) to actually do this how I would love to do this. It was a great reminder that I have the most supportive husband ever and that sometimes things just aren't easy. That won't stop me. I have already budgeted out some shopping $$ for my birthday at the end of April. Ross DFL better watch out. Whoever the Unknown person is who said they would help me, I hope you will be down for the discount stores and I would love the help! Please identify yourself! :) Susan, you are such a great friend and I appreciate your kind words. I love the idea of giving myself 15 extra minutes rather than waking up to the baby monitor. I am going to check out her site for sure. and Traci, I love you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Casey, I think this is funny. I'd love if I could spend the day in my workout clothes! But, I have to make myself look "presentable" for work every single day!!!! For me, the thing that makes the biggest difference is doing my hair. If I actually take the time to style it, I feel like a whole different person than when it's a frizzy mess. Just a little foundation, blush and mascara and I am good to go.

    I love shopping for clothes and accessories, but I always buy really simple and classic clothes. It doesn't have to be intimidating, it's just another way to express the inner you! Let's make a date to go shopping! My latest favorites is Ann Taylor Loft, it's classic and cute and they ALWAYS have awesome sales.

    ReplyDelete