Thursday, September 6, 2012

Crestwood Park Blaster Workout

The weather has been amazing this week and an outdoor workout was just what the MAMA ordered.
I put Dutch in the stroller, got Vader on the leash and started my workout by walking to the park.  By the time we all got to the park, I was sweaty and ready to go.  There is a baseball field (sign says, NO DOGS, just ignore that) that is fenced in so Dutch and crazy Vader could run wild.  The field was big enough to use for sprints and there were plenty of things to distract Dutch so mama could get her sprint on.  I have no idea how long I was doing my workout but my guess is about 30-40 minutes of hard core-ness.  I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do but with Dutch there, I just had to just go with the flow.
First of all, you really have to let go of worrying about looking crazy.  Luckily the park was quiet but there were a few other moms close by the swing set.  Don't worry about sprinting and burpee'ing in a public place.  It's cool.  You will just look hard core.  (That is what I tell myself)
It went a little something like this:

sprint length of field, jog back 3 x
reps of 30 for the below
burpees
lateral hop overs
hizemans
push ups
squat jumps
plank jacks

At this point, I was dying.  The key is to push yourself HARD, meaning, move fast and strong. 
Dutch decided he wanted to race me, he kept saying, "RUN, c'mon, mommy.  RUN."
So we did.  Vader was right there with us.  I have to say, it made me so happy.  My boys.  I just love em.  Looking over and seeing Vader's slobbery ass running next to me, dog smiling.  It just melts my heart.  His bro, Dutch, (yes, they are brothers)  running so fast and laughing so loud.  ahhhh, I am in trouble with these two.
We would race one, then I would give Dutch a piggy back for one and we did that whole thing twice.  He would crack up when I was running with him on my back.  It was so cute and it made me so happy that I just kept going.

After our amazing running sesh, I went back to my reps of 30.
reverse lunges each leg
in and out jump squats
push ups
jump lunges
high knees
butt kickers

By this time Dutch was done.  He wanted to go swing and slide and so I decided I was done too.  I was totally worked and I felt awesome.  We played on the swings and then had a nice walk home.

If this workout sounds too crazy or not crazy enough, make up your own.  I am sharing this because park workouts with kids are an amazing way to get your body moving.  I hear so many mom's say they can't workout because they are with their kids all day.  The kids love this stuff!  They love fitness and just being with you.  Create your own workout and include the family.  They will love it.  If they don't (which could happen, depending on their age.)  then maybe try again another day or another way.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out
    and say I truly enjoy reading your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
    Thanks a ton!

    My site insomnia 09
    my webpage - insomnia kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete